Wednesday, April 15, 2009

FAIL

Ah, so I am like, 99% sure I didn't make it into the animation program. I sort of thought I wouldn't make it, because my drawing skills weren't as strong as other people's. I mean I'm not AWFUL, but I'm not the best either. I mean, I can see improvements but still that really means nothing. The only thing I had going for me was my killer work ethic. But, even though I have work ethic coming out of my ears, and the faculty liked my work on Blind Men and the Elephant, I guess thats not enough. I really feel like if I would have gotten in I would improve way more, being surrounded by all of these animation people

So now I have a problem. I am not really sure I should apply again. I don't know how much I CAN improve with the same teacher. He kind of sucked. So Now I need a fallback. Thinking about it now, I don't really know what I would WANT to do. All of the other majors seem like a whole lot of work, in the form of paper writing and a lot of stuff that is boring. Animation is a lot of work, but it is work that I am interested in. Does anyone have any ideas what a good major would be for me? I am stumped. This is when being a Jack of All Trades but Master of None really stinks.

Should I try again next year? I dunno. I don't really want to waste a year if I don't get in. But I also don't really know what to do with all that time.

Give me some input!

4 comments:

Aaron Ludwig said...

I think you should definitely go for it again. You will get in, for sure.
Who was your teacher who didn't help so much?
Yeah, so if this is what you like to do then don't let this minor setback prevent you from doing what you love for the rest of your life.

Joel Deehr said...

Amen to that comment meredith. I know how much you love animation. There are plenty of kids that dont get in their first time. If you want it, a year is not going to be a big deal (besides, you can actually apply for this fall anyway, thats like, half a year:) ) Look at me, I finally decided to pursue ID/animation and Im almost 24. I spent nearly 2 1/2 years at BYU doing majors i wasnt into. You should do it, if you want it.

Joel Deehr said...

by the way, if you need help drawing, go to scribd.com and download Andrew loomis's books. i cannot begin to explain how beneficial they are, even if they are really old school. My drawing improved by leaps and bounds once i discovered those books. Drawing from life is great, but it also helps if you have something to start out with. he has about 8 diff books, but the ones you should check out are "fun with a pencil" "figure drawing for all its worth" and "drawing the head and hands." They are so fun and very very well written.

Anonymous said...

don't give up!... you'll never accomplish your dream if you do....... just saying...

--caitlin :)